| Search | Login/Register
   Home » Horn-Loaded Speakers» The European Triode Festival’s horns (58 posts, 3 pages)
  Print Thread | 1st Post |  
Page 3 of 3 (58 items) Select Pages:  « 1 2 3
   Target    Threads for related reading   Most recent post in related threads   Forum  Replies   Views   Started 
  »  New  Problems with horns: upper bass ..  Must it be about loading?...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     109  932859  03-25-2005
  »  New  Barn Conversion - James' Project..  The vintage vs. contemporary compression driver....  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     28  287170  02-04-2007
  »  New  About bass horns by Johan Dreyer..  There are lowest bass horns and there are not lowest b...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     5  72700  02-11-2008
  »  New  La Grande Castine..  Good luck...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     57  420966  09-07-2009
  »  New  The most promising “best” commercial speaker..  Cessaro new Loudspeaker...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     191  1386474  12-06-2006
  »  New  European Triode Festival 2009 – good, bad and ugly...  Schröder, Walker and a weekend with Bernie...  Audio Discussions  Forum     10  22439  12-14-2009
  »  New  French Horns/drivers shootout (oops! S2 came last)..  My bad...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     7  52154  12-07-2010
  »  New  Where the Horns Light is shining from?..  Where the Horns Light is shining from?...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     0  7671  12-09-2010
07-01-2010 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Marc HENRY
Posts 6
Joined on 12-19-2007

Post #: 41
Post ID: 13902
Reply to: 13901
Srajan Ebaen opinion
fiogf49gjkf0d
I all,Perhaps there is someone here who can visit us in Cognac, to verify if Srajan Ebaen is right or not ?every music lover is welcome :-)Regards,Marco ---
07-01-2010 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
skushino
Seattle, WA
Posts 93
Joined on 07-07-2004

Post #: 42
Post ID: 13905
Reply to: 13902
Upper bass driver
fiogf49gjkf0d
Marc Henry-

In the 6moons write-up, you mentioned the Altec 515 re-issue not being satisfactory for your purposes on the Grande Castine horn.  I presume the specific 515 variant you used was the 'g' type (designed for horn loading) rather than 515'b' type (designed for reflex enclosures), correct?  Would you share some of your reservations about this driver?  I'm curious if you were dissatisfied with tone, integrating with the upper bass horn, integrating with the mid range horn, or something else?  Thanks.

Scott
07-01-2010 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Marc HENRY
Posts 6
Joined on 12-19-2007

Post #: 43
Post ID: 13908
Reply to: 13905
515-G/Cyrille Audio
fiogf49gjkf0d
Of course i used the 515-G. this famous speaker suited very well to our bass horn...as any other bass horn ! the only problem with the 515-G was a upper end a bit...noisy with our 6db crossover.
When we started with Cyrille-audio a project of a 15" for bass horn in 2007, it was mostly for fun. but in 2008  we were advised of some changes in GPA production (stiffer diaphragm for the 515-G). so this "fun project" became a "vital project" Our 15" is more "fast" than the best 515-G versions, with less "noise" around the 2000-4000Hz area.Regards,Marco ---
07-01-2010 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
skushino
Seattle, WA
Posts 93
Joined on 07-07-2004

Post #: 44
Post ID: 13909
Reply to: 13908
Altec 515 hf 'noise'
fiogf49gjkf0d
Interesting experience - thanks for sharing.

Just yesterday I posted about this topic:

http://goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?postID=13892#13892

I will first use a 6dB/octave crossover, but may need to go to a higher order slope instead.  I'm crossing lower than you (around 200hz) - this will help.

Nice work on your horns. 
07-01-2010 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Romy the Cat


Boston, MA
Posts 9,655
Joined on 05-27-2004

Post #: 45
Post ID: 13910
Reply to: 13902
Srajan vs. Ebaen
fiogf49gjkf0d

 Marc HENRY wrote:
I all,Perhaps there is someone here who can visit us in Cognac, to verify if Srajan Ebaen is right or not ?every music lover is welcome :-)Regards,Marco ---

Marco, it is good that you invite people but I do not think that to “verify Srajan Ebaen” is a noble task for anyone. Srajan’s travel and his audio advantage are well known in Europe and very many audio manufactures from Europe reports who he is and what he is after. Even this week I receive two emails (completely not solicited) from a small European manufactures who informed me what Srajan was after and how they sorry that they got involved. I personally feel that their “sorry” excuse is a lie as the Morons do read the Srajan’s pornography and as result help them to sell their products. However, here is where the difference between you and me lies. You do have publicity and exposure interest as you consider a commercial venture in audio. I do not and therefore the Srajan’s efforts of exposure and marketing are completely irrelevant to me.

Now, take a look what happen. You are manufacture who made a new revision of your speaker. You expose this speaker to a marketing clerk with anticipation that it will be a quality observation of your work. What you get instead besides the Larry King level journalism and Larry Flint level illustrations? In a way the situation not different with many today musical reviews. Read my comment below:

http://classical-scene.com/2010/06/28/thanks/

Anyhow, as in many other case in my cases I would omit the at this point the commentaries about your speakers but juts note the very primitive level of Srajan to talk an about your speaker and about audio generally. Partially I understand Srajan – he writes for idiots and he writes at a level to be understood. Does it mean that Srajan journalism shall not be called idiotic?

The Cat


"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche
07-02-2010 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Stitch


Behind The Sun
Posts 234
Joined on 01-15-2009

Post #: 46
Post ID: 13911
Reply to: 13910
Bred and Games
fiogf49gjkf0d
 Romy the Cat wrote:
 Partially I understand Srajan – he writes for idiots and he writes at a level to be understood. Does it mean that Srajan journalism shall not be called idiotic?
The Cat
I think, we should change our view for High End.We (the customers, those who pay the bill) are always mad or frustrated about reviewers (Astor, Valin, and son on..) and this discussion was endless, is endless and won't change in future.
When we change our view to ourselves, I think, we don't deserve it any better (exception me, because I am one of the good guys), we want to read that. I don't think, the customer wants to read real information how bad the unit is he bought just a few weeks ago ("..I got a good price...")
All changed for entertainment and a writer has the most power, because he is in the first row to the manufacturer. The manufacturer needs him for the readers, he needs the manufacturer to write and to get paid for it. When he stays on the consumer side, what would happen?Would they say " thank you, that you wrote that this cartridge is so awful..". Hardly. Consumers can be a real pain. They want all, know nothing and want a good price for it.
It is like in the old Rome: "Bred & Games"



Kind Regards
Stitch
07-02-2010 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Romy the Cat


Boston, MA
Posts 9,655
Joined on 05-27-2004

Post #: 47
Post ID: 13912
Reply to: 13911
The missed opportunity. Did you mean Bread & Circus?
fiogf49gjkf0d

 Stitch wrote:

I think, we should change our view for High End.We (the customers, those who pay the bill) are always mad or frustrated about reviewers (Astor, Valin, and son on..) and this discussion was endless, is endless and won't change in future.
When we change our view to ourselves, I think, we don't deserve it any better (exception me, because I am one of the good guys), we want to read that. I don't think, the customer wants to read real information how bad the unit is he bought just a few weeks ago ("..I got a good price...")
All changed for entertainment and a writer has the most power, because he is in the first row to the manufacturer. The manufacturer needs him for the readers, he needs the manufacturer to write and to get paid for it. When he stays on the consumer side, what would happen?Would they say " thank you, that you wrote that this cartridge is so awful..". Hardly. Consumers can be a real pain. They want all, know nothing and want a good price for it.
It is like in the old Rome: "Bred & Games"

Stitch,

Sure, we can convert this thread into another bitching about reviewers but it was not my objective. My objective was to express a frustration about one more missed opportunity that Srajan facilitated. His observation about Grande Castine was the observation about nothing. Srajan converted the subject of audio into “America's Got Talent” TV shows where retardation and compliance with movie “Idiocracy” become a virtue.

What we learn about new Grande Castine? That the people who do it live where good wine is made, that some of them have a wife who love big speakers and that Srajan Ebayn, most likely with his wife made a whole-paid off trip in there. Oh, year, we learned that Srajan made many remarks about audio so uninformed that he clearly demonstrated that he shall not be in a position of public speaking.

Well, Srajan of cause is not the true subject. The true subject is the new Grande Castine and their new LF section. What was told about them? Absolutely nothing valuable! Did you get any impression about sonic capacity of the Grande Castine? Oh, yes! Srajan felt that they were better then ….. Avantgarde Duo! What a fucking revelation!

My point is that in today audio manufactures do not have voice, unfortunately. If they try to develop own manufactures voice then the voice get substituted by sales force voice (BAT, Magico). There is absolutely nothing wrong with an independent person visit a manufactures and post his observations. Srajan went to France to see the Grande Castine makers. The makers took him fishing for 3 days. Srajan honestly described what kind fish he caught and what the temperature of water in that French lake was. The Sound interests and sonic capacity of the Grande Castine went very far outside of the Srajan viewfinder…. From my perspective it is very unfortunate.

The Cat


"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche
03-04-2011 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Romy the Cat


Boston, MA
Posts 9,655
Joined on 05-27-2004

Post #: 48
Post ID: 15696
Reply to: 6119
Assholes, learn from Grande Castine
fiogf49gjkf0d
It is what I usually say – most audio people horns-wise are just Morons and the design ideas of their playbacks are a pure evidence of it. You have seen many installations where horns, drivers, and channels are pile brainlessly. The Morons do it then then they write long opuses about sound of this and that vintage driver. I hate those idiots. It is the same as to seam in a pool of liquid shit and to pitch about delicate perfume.
Anyhow, the reason I write is because it might be different. The resent advancement of Grande Castine is a case to point.  I was referred today to the new image of the Grande Castine and to their new brilliant frame

NewGrandeCastine.jpg

Image from http://hornloaded-audio.blogspot.com/2011/02/grande-castine.html

It is very not expensive, very simple, very elegant and superbly smart way to organize horn frame for final found drivers. I love it and with all appear to be simplicity it takes years and years to experimenting with horns to come up with something like this.

The Cat


"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-09-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
rowuk


Germany
Posts 309
Joined on 07-05-2012

Post #: 49
Post ID: 25688
Reply to: 15696
Au Revoir Grande Castine, Bonjour KornHent
Well, it looks like this beautiful speaker did not get the traction that it deserved. Musique Concrete is no more BUT Marco Henry is offering most of what the Grande Castine was on line for only 14000 Euros. Check this out:https://www.kornhent.bzh
The beautiful frame is unfortunately gone.


Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
11-09-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Paul S
San Diego, California, USA
Posts 2,217
Joined on 10-12-2006

Post #: 50
Post ID: 25689
Reply to: 25688
The "Market" for Good Sound
Now as ever in hi-fi there seems to be no economically viable model for developing, producing, marketing and servicing  good sounding equipment. As ever, it remains for the end user to find and develop their own equipment from whatever happens to be available at the time. On the other hand, as ever there are still ways to do this, despite the demise of any given commercial product line. People in this forum seem to forget that horns don't sound better than other topologies but they are simply more efficient than other speakers, which opens the door to certain power options that are not honestly viable with other types of speakers. However, it's not about the topology, and it's not about the thickness of one's wallet, and it's not just about the ears but mainly what's between them. We can't just wait for "manufacturers" to do the job for us, and we certainly can't count on The Public to Support Good Sound. One of the most frustrating things for me has been that even at the level of drivers it seems to be almost entirely random in terms of real world result not just in terms of topology or even one line versus another but also driver to driver, down to individual units. Feh!


Paul S
11-10-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Romy the Cat


Boston, MA
Posts 9,655
Joined on 05-27-2004

Post #: 51
Post ID: 25690
Reply to: 25688
I hope it is just a hobby....
So, what happens, the Musique Concrete as the company stopped to exist and somebody Marco Henry, who is a new person of the former Musique Concrete will continue the line? That is fine but I think Marco Henry as well as Musique Concrete need to take his efforts as a very different level in order to create any “event” in this industry or to make any significance in the home horn systems. Not that I feel that Mr. Henry “should”. If he smart then he should run away from this business and it is very much not [self]appreciative place to be. I hope Mr. Henry has other calling in his life and his parley to audio busses is his side hobby that he chose to monetize…


"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-10-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Romy the Cat


Boston, MA
Posts 9,655
Joined on 05-27-2004

Post #: 52
Post ID: 25691
Reply to: 25689
There is nothing further then this.
 Paul S wrote:
Now as ever in hi-fi there seems to be no economically viable model for developing, producing, marketing and servicing  good sounding equipment. As ever, it remains for the end user to find and develop their own equipment from whatever happens to be available at the time. On the other hand, as ever there are still ways to do this, despite the demise of any given commercial product line. People in this forum seem to forget that horns don't sound better than other topologies but they are simply more efficient than other speakers, which opens the door to certain power options that are not honestly viable with other types of speakers. However, it's not about the topology, and it's not about the thickness of one's wallet, and it's not just about the ears but mainly what's between them. We can't just wait for "manufacturers" to do the job for us, and we certainly can't count on The Public to Support Good Sound. One of the most frustrating things for me has been that even at the level of drivers it seems to be almost entirely random in terms of real world result not just in terms of topology or even one line versus another but also driver to driver, down to individual units. Feh!
Hmmmm, it is interesting subject(s) but in my view your post mixed so many things into one pile. One subject that I would like to address however. No one made a claim that horns sound better than other topologies. In fact, if you look at the number of attempts by topologies then probably horns will be not the winners. It just happened that by virtue me embracing horn topology for my own playback the majority of context at this site is about horns. There is nothing further then this.



"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-10-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Paul S
San Diego, California, USA
Posts 2,217
Joined on 10-12-2006

Post #: 53
Post ID: 25692
Reply to: 25691
The Champion
Sure, Romy, that's already obvious from all you've said, at least to some. However, it's also obvious that many still shop and shop and wait and wait for some "manufacturer" to "get it right" and offer to them something they can plug and play, and on this site there also seems to lurk the idea that this will be "the best", not because you sell it like this but because people continue to bring this with them when they get here. How ironic is it that really big speakers that might really deliver might take years to develop and embed in a room that supports them. even something purchased as "plug and play"?


Best regards.
Paul S
11-10-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Romy the Cat


Boston, MA
Posts 9,655
Joined on 05-27-2004

Post #: 54
Post ID: 25693
Reply to: 25692
My will.
 Paul S wrote:
However, it's also obvious that many still shop and shop and wait and wait for some "manufacturer" to "get it right" and offer to them something they can plug and play, and on this site there also seems to lurk the idea that this will be "the best", not because you sell it like this but because people continue to bring this with them when they get here. How ironic is it that really big speakers that might really deliver might take years to develop and embed in a room that supports them. even something purchased as "plug and play"?

Paul, what is not obvious and in my view escapes from many people in audio, including those few who sometimes read my site that I do not care about “many who still shop”. My very fundamental believe is that high-end audio is deeply individualistic and very personal endeavor. To worry about other in audio is the last stupid thing that I care and then people practice high-end audio, particularly public audio as we all do nowadays, with a reference to “others” then it is a direct pathway to either whoreship or to blind nothingness. A serious audio is a deeply personal matter, no different the the techniques we use in a bedroom to bring a person we love to orgasm. I for sure might observe what others, would it be people of manufactures, do in the areas where I have some expertise.  Still, this is a general intention to publicize that “keeping the torch” ceremony but I have no investment of any kind to change dippers over another person’s audio mind. The deep individualistic nature of high-end audio is the greatest conclusion I made for 40 years of practicing audio. If tomorrow I turn dead then it is my wish that what I said above to be my high-end audio legacy.



"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche
11-27-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
steverino
Posts 314
Joined on 05-22-2009

Post #: 55
Post ID: 25696
Reply to: 25691
Happy Thanksgiving everyone
As for Romy's legacy advice let's just say that Audio systems are the interior decorator part of music. 
11-28-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Romy the Cat


Boston, MA
Posts 9,655
Joined on 05-27-2004

Post #: 56
Post ID: 25698
Reply to: 25696
Happy Thanksgiving...
Yep, Happy Thanksgiving to everybody. Saying honestly, to celebrate Thanksgiving outside of US, we are in Mexico now, is kind of strange... I disagree that Audio systems are the interior decorator part of music. I rather think that for a person who cares about high-end audio a playback systems acts as interior decorator of own personality. It might be a negative decoration or positive decoration. It is all depending on how it is being used within a framework of on objectives. It is like a rifle. It's my be used as a murder weapon or it might be a used as a tool of liberation from oppression. A playback system is very much the same. It's my be used as a great mechanical surrogate and the very same system my be used as a tool for introspection, research, reflection and many other objectives. This is why I always use long-term progression of personality as an ultimate assessment mechanism to evaluate the quality of playback.


"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche
12-10-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Marc HENRY
Posts 6
Joined on 12-19-2007

Post #: 57
Post ID: 25706
Reply to: 25688
Au revoir Grande Castine, Bonjour KornHent
Thanks to mention my work :-)
New pictures on https://www.kornhent.bzh The first idea with KornHent was to improve some things i do not love on La Grande Castine. Finally everything is different except the medium horn.The second idea was to delete everything that was costly and not listenable as : distributor's margin, sophisticated painting and assembly.The more costly component of La Grande Castine was....the painting !! :-D
Maybe i will be back in coming months/ years with costly horn system, but i want to continue to offer an entry level price very low (...for a fully functional hifi horn system !)
And, well, this is not only a hobby, but i have fortunately some other business in microphone repair/custom handcrafting with https://www.latelierdumicrophone.fr
Marc

12-11-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Romy the Cat


Boston, MA
Posts 9,655
Joined on 05-27-2004

Post #: 58
Post ID: 25707
Reply to: 25706
Good luck
Thank, Mark. A fully functional hifi horn system for a very low price is a temping concern. Factoring, shipping and footprint it is hard. Some sort of inflatable horns? You truly has to be "crazy" to have an interest in making audio for other people but if it what you like then good luck to you.


"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 3 of 3 (58 items) Select Pages:  « 1 2 3
   Target    Threads for related reading   Most recent post in related threads   Forum  Replies   Views   Started 
  »  New  Problems with horns: upper bass ..  Must it be about loading?...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     109  932859  03-25-2005
  »  New  Barn Conversion - James' Project..  The vintage vs. contemporary compression driver....  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     28  287170  02-04-2007
  »  New  About bass horns by Johan Dreyer..  There are lowest bass horns and there are not lowest b...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     5  72700  02-11-2008
  »  New  La Grande Castine..  Good luck...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     57  420966  09-07-2009
  »  New  The most promising “best” commercial speaker..  Cessaro new Loudspeaker...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     191  1386474  12-06-2006
  »  New  European Triode Festival 2009 – good, bad and ugly...  Schröder, Walker and a weekend with Bernie...  Audio Discussions  Forum     10  22439  12-14-2009
  »  New  French Horns/drivers shootout (oops! S2 came last)..  My bad...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     7  52154  12-07-2010
  »  New  Where the Horns Light is shining from?..  Where the Horns Light is shining from?...  Horn-Loaded Speakers Forum     0  7671  12-09-2010
Home Page  |  Last 24Hours  | Search  |  SiteMap  | Questions or Problems | Copyright Note
The content of all messages within the Forums Copyright © by authors of the posts