| Search | Login/Register
   Home » Melquiades Amplifier » Melquiades For Dummies™ - step by step. (26 posts, 2 pages)
  Print Thread | 1st Post |  
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) Select Pages:  « 1 2
   Target    Threads for related reading   Most recent post in related threads   Forum  Replies   Views   Started 
  »  New  Building Melquiades: Chronicle of full-range..  VR2 issue leading to jump in current on 6C33 tube...  Melquiades Amplifier  Forum     44  284074  06-09-2006
  »  New  “Melquiades” amplifier: a year later...  Considerations about Melquiades’ layout....  Melquiades Amplifier  Forum     33  248945  10-05-2006
  »  New  Full range Melquiades implementation..  Solved...  Melquiades Amplifier  Forum     81  266771  02-23-2011
  »  New  Building Melquiades: questions and answers...  PeaceMAT XS™...  Melquiades Amplifier  Forum     96  352730  10-09-2007
08-12-2008 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
decoud
United Kingdom
Posts 246
Joined on 03-01-2008

Post #: 21
Post ID: 8014
Reply to: 8013
Fitting
Very many thanks. I do not want to make him change too many things given that he has generously agreed to keep the price fixed. May I ask what sockets you used - I could then obtain the same ones? Do not worry if you cannot remember. Regards, d
Romy the Cat

Boston, MA
Posts 9,650
Joined on 05-27-2004

Post #: 22
Post ID: 8016
Reply to: 8014
The tubes sockets for Milq

I do not remember which one I used. I remember that I was deciding if to mount them on chassis vs. to have a small board with tube sockets under the chassis and bring the tubes through the chassis. The board mounting is better as it decuples the tube from the chassis vibrations.  However, in the original Melquiades I decided to go for chassis-mount as it is ease with point to point wiring. In Melquiades DSET I deseed do not change it as the 3-6 channels unit has no chokes-transformer on amp side and therefore no vibration. However, when I converted 3-channel Melquiades into 6 channel DSET I replaced the sockets from whatever I had to Connex sockets. I found the hold the tube much better, much more flexible in mounting and have zillion if other advantages. I drill up the size of the holes in Super Melquiades to accommodate the new sockets.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/tubesockets.html

The Canadian sell them very expensive, but you can find then from Taiwan on eBay for under $10. Unfortunately I was not able to found better sockets for 7-pin gas tubes…

Anyhow, determine what sockets you will be using and how you will be mounting them and THEN place the order for the chassis. Drilling yourself is fine but not for tubes sockets as it will be too visible. It is very easy for John (or whoever) to change the dimension of the holes.

The Cat

PS: God, I am so happy that I am going to do over this crap all over again!!!!

"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche
decoud
United Kingdom
Posts 246
Joined on 03-01-2008

Post #: 23
Post ID: 8017
Reply to: 8016
Eastern promise
Thanks, Romy. I suppose I also ought to check the size of the metre, unless you happen to recall the source of the one you used...

Incidentally, it is possible to go all teflon & gold (including the 7-pin miniatures) from here:

http://www2.117.ne.jp/~y-s/parts-socket-e.html

Their mounting plates look good too.

Prices are, of course, preposterous.

Regards, d
08-13-2008 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Romy the Cat

Boston, MA
Posts 9,650
Joined on 05-27-2004

Post #: 24
Post ID: 8019
Reply to: 8017
Try it before you buy it.

There was a conversation about the Melquiades meters in past:

http://www.romythecat.com/GetPost.aspx?PostID=3694

However, I have a concern about what you do. You are trying to come up with chassis or an idea of better parts for Milq but you have no parts yet to build the amp. If you do have the part then why don’t you prototype the Milq in order to verify for yourself the amp actually worth to built as a final, sassiness enclosed amplifier? It I might be zillion reasons why you might find that Milq is not good enough for you (The Romy turned out to be a full of shit would be one of them) Anyhow, if I were you I would defiantly built a quick and dirty “on table” assembly of a functional amp to liar what the amp does. If you have all part then it will take for you a day. If you have not a lot of experience to build amps then it would be a wonderful play-ground for you to experiment with amp building…

The caT

"I wish I could score everything for horns." - Richard Wagner. "Our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts." - Friedrich Nietzsche
08-14-2008 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
decoud
United Kingdom
Posts 246
Joined on 03-01-2008

Post #: 25
Post ID: 8025
Reply to: 8019
Risk
Yes, this is an experiment, but it may as well look good for all that.
07-29-2019 Post does not mapped to Knowledge Tree
Terry Maddocks
United Kingdom
Posts 2
Joined on 04-04-2017

Post #: 26
Post ID: 25534
Reply to: 8025
Getting on board... Finally
I'm a little late to the party here, but better than never I suppose!  I'm getting there with parts acquisition, I have valves and output transformers, chokes on order. Next will be power transformers, and finally.. everything else.. Decoud did you ever get your Melquiades finished? 

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Sergei Rachmaninoff
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) Select Pages:  « 1 2
   Target    Threads for related reading   Most recent post in related threads   Forum  Replies   Views   Started 
  »  New  Building Melquiades: Chronicle of full-range..  VR2 issue leading to jump in current on 6C33 tube...  Melquiades Amplifier  Forum     44  284074  06-09-2006
  »  New  “Melquiades” amplifier: a year later...  Considerations about Melquiades’ layout....  Melquiades Amplifier  Forum     33  248945  10-05-2006
  »  New  Full range Melquiades implementation..  Solved...  Melquiades Amplifier  Forum     81  266771  02-23-2011
  »  New  Building Melquiades: questions and answers...  PeaceMAT XS™...  Melquiades Amplifier  Forum     96  352730  10-09-2007
Home Page  |  Last 24Hours  | Search  |  SiteMap  | Questions or Problems | Copyright Note
The content of all messages within the Forums Copyright © by authors of the posts